Wednesday, November 21, 2012

giving of thanks


I know, I know.
Here I go with the rocks again.
But I've been thinking about & looking at "our" rocks around our house this week.
This week. It's been a rough one.
It's been a mix of a stomach virus, pneumonia, and the flu. We're going on day 8.
When you are a mom, caring for sick children all day long, for 8 days straight, it's really easy to lose focus.
I look at those rocks because they remind me that's God faithfulness always wins out.
Even when I see no end in sight.
They also remind me of the Rock that is our foundation.
A firm, steadfast hold - even when we are shaken.

Yesterday, I turned on the music cd Ella brought home from church Sunday for the kid's Christmas program, when a familiar melody comes on . . . Light of the World you stepped down into darkness. . .
My first thought was I'm loving that they have incorporated this song into the program . . . but as it played on I went from excitement to sheer tears of humility. Broken. Shaken.
Maybe it's that I might be losing my mind a little.
Maybe it's that I'm so over the sickness in our home.
Or maybe it was just the right time for the Spirit of God to remind me.
Remind me to be Thankful.

How can we ever give enough thanks to the Son of God who stepped into our darkness to show us light?
Who sees all the depravity in us and love us still.
Who hears our shallow thank you's and offers us grace.

For me, I try my hardest to remember.
Remember everyday.
Remember in the midst of turmoil, the battles that have already been won.
Remember in darkness, there light is there.
Remember every morning when my feet hit the floor it's because He choose to wake me.
Remember His words.

Yes, I look at my rocks.
They are my reminders.