Sunday, March 17, 2013

boggle your mind

The recent family favorite at the Tharpe house has been the game of Boggle.
I think we might be some what addicted?!
The girls love it & I love that they love it - they think it's just a fun game, little do they know they're working on their spelling! score!
Even Deacon gets in on the action & gets so excited when he spells words! Today he got eat.

So the point of this post:
Let's go back two years, to a day when I was at the Goodwill Discount Outlet! [did you even know such a place existed?!? Sure does, in Winston-Salem. NC, where my in-laws used to live- they charge you by the pound & it can be dangerous!]
I bought a set of  vintage American History books for the kids, which have made their home on an end table in our living room. The kids look through them often, but I had never done so myself. Until several nights ago.

Brock and I were sitting in bad, playing boggle. I told you, we're addicted. I had grabbed two of the books to use as writing pads for our game & for some odd reason, just happen to open it up to look through it, when I found this:

[phone pic, excuse the quality]

Yep, it's pages of boggle games. 
Whoever owned these books had used these exact same books for the exact same purpose we were.
It looks like an older woman's handwriting & a younger persons - made me think of a grandmother & grandchild sitting on a porch somewhere, enjoying a warm afternoon & each others company.

I think I might have scared Brock a little by how incredible I thought this find was. 
Luckily, he knows my love for times gone by.
I often joke that I was born in the wrong era. 
I long for simplicity & less technology- although I'll be the first to admit I enjoy it's perks.
Finding those papers for me was a reminder that truest moments in life are timeless. 

And sometimes all it takes is some paper & 16 letter dice.