Tuesday, September 25, 2012

haiti pt. 2 [every doorway bears a story]

Well, I think I've waited long enough to write the pt. 2, don'tcha think??!!

Getting back into the school grove takes me a little while, but I think I'm finally getting there. So, hence the blogging restart.


In the video collage that I made from this trip, I used the song "Sing Along" by Christy Nockels on Passion's White Flag album.
I used this song for many reasons, but the one line that I kept hearing over & over in my head is the line
 "every doorway bears a story."
My favorite part of being in Haiti were the walks around the local villages.
Because White Stone has been working in this area for a while, most people know these little mountainous communities like their own neighborhoods. It was really a neat thing to witness.
We'd walk up to a house & they would greet us with hugs & smiles.
They were quick to invite us through their doorway or bring chairs outside for us to sit on.


The walks are crucial to ministry there.
It lets you see, first hand, the poverty on this island.
It also makes you wonder what it would have been like to be Jesus.
When we would walk through, we would gather people along the way.
They just walked with us. Wanting to know what we were doing. Maybe we had something we could give them? Maybe they just wanted to see where we would go? Maybe they just needed to be reminded that God hasn't forgotten about them.
That's what Jesus did.
His life's story is about reminding us that God hasn't forgotten about us.

So, if I had to name a favorite part, it'd have to be the walks. Although, I'm certain that I develop what I've dubbed "Haitian Asthma" during these walks. Not to be mistaken for being out of shape, people. I'm thinking this is a real diagnoses.
But I'm not a doctor.