Friday, June 8, 2012

Even on your Birthday.

There's a term that floats around the Christian world.
It's the word interrupt.
You know, asking God to interrupt the monotony.
The normal of everyday.
Asking Him, in some small or large way, to remind you that He's there.

We were interrupted the other day.
Tuesday evening to be exact. Walking downtown. It was my birthday.
I had just spent too much money on a pair of shoes. But I needed them. No, really, I do. For my Haiti trip.
You know, cause Haiti...well, it's hot. Major hot. And I'm not really a hiking sandle kind-of gal, so I was so excited to slip on these babies.


Comfort. Support. and most importantly- Ventilation.

Bag in hand, Brock, Sophie & I cross the street, heading for our dinner destination.
When, we meet him.
His name is Rod and he is lost.
The wagon had just dropped him off at city hall and he didn't know how to get home.
Well, that's what he told us, anyway.
He needed directions & as I begin to tell him which way to go, Brock gives me "that" look and proceeds to tell Rod that we'll just give him a ride. It was only 5 minutes away.
So, we turn around & head back to the car when something cool happens.
I look to my left to see Sophie walking right along side Rod. She isn't scared or nervous. She's confident of her Daddy's protection & following our lead.
We learn on the way that Rod struggles with alcohol & that's what landed him two days in jail. DUI.
And how he used to have a good job. And that he has a house.
We offer to get him food but he says no.

He ask us to drop him at a gas station & he'll walk the rest of the way home.
Honestly, I really don't know that Rod had a home.
But he really wanted us to think he did.



We drove back downtown, enjoyed some steaks, burgers, and the sights of Market Square.
All the while I kept recalling all the times I've asked God to interrupt my days.
Interrupt.
It's got such a negative reputation.
But sometimes, being interrupted is exactly what we need.

Even on your birthday.